Tuesday, April 15, 2014

This Book Was A Tree

As someone who strives to live a life steeped in nature, I was curious when Marcie offered to give me a copy of her new book, This Book Was A Tree, to review.  "Ideas, adventures, and inspiration for rediscovering the natural world" sounded right up my alley, though I wondered if I might not know this stuff already.  I mean, I do pride myself on being in tune with nature, and a bit of a nature nerd, after all.

Well, I needn't have worried about that.  Not only does Marcie provide projects and challenges for getting us closer to nature, she provides a very important component, the "why".

After browsing the book, the kids and I decided to make a nesting material ball.  The book told us how to do it, but also "why".  It helped us understand the intricacies of nest-building and got us to think about what feathered friends live in our neighborhood.  She encouraged us listen to the birds and gave us tips on identifying them by their songs.  She also suggested how we might apply what birds already know about constructing a simple home, to our own lives.

I like that this book has something for people of all ages.  My young kids will enjoy the fun projects- the pinhole camera, the sundial, locating Fibonacci sequences, my teenager could appreciate the science behind these projects, and I appreciate that the book encourages a thoughtful application of these projects and ideas to one's own life.


We hung our nesting ball in the plum outside our kitchen window where we can watch our feathered friends who come to visit it, and where it will serve as a daily reminder for me as to what goes into my own nest.  I have the feeling this is a book I'll refer to often.

Want to read what other bloggers had to say about this book?  Check it out:

4/2    Mindful Momma
4/3    The Long Thread
4/4    Maya Made
4/7    Rebecca Sower
4/10 Tinkerlab

And if you'd like to purchase a copy of your own, click HERE.

4 comments:

Tumus said...

That sounds like a great book! I'll have to see about picking up a copy :) Speaking of nesting birds, I noticed after brushing our cats last week that our local wrens were going wild over the cat fur tufts. I never knew cat hair could have such wide appeal.

Unknown said...

Hi-Lisa that looks like a great book! Do you know if it is in any book stores? I really like to support my local book store-but if not I will order one!

Lisa at lil fish studios said...

Kristy - Yes--it's in stores--Barnes and Noble, or you can pop your zip code into Indiebound.com to find small independent stores nearby.

Unknown said...

Thanks Lisa I will get one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails