Wednesday, April 30, 2014

random thoughts on a wednesday

My friend, who is clearly a Photoshop wizard, created this image masterpiece to commemorate an upcoming bike trip.  I am the unicorn.  So lifelike.

Yesterday our dog Charlie was (finally) neutered.  He has been wearing the cone of shame to keep him from bothering his stitches.  Apparently the cone of shame is heavier than its thin plastic frame would suggest as he walks with it scraping the ground as if the weight of it is too much for his neck muscles to bear.  I can tell he wants to communicate his distress to me by the way he whined the entire night long.  Yes, the entire night long.  Until we took the cone off this morning.  Now he is sleeping peacefully in the morning light.

This morning my son saw a large animal step into the woods about <this> tall with a long tail, wolf-like head, and it was skin colored.  I'm pretty sure he saw a coyote and it's more worrisome to me that we have another coyote in our yard (what with all our chickens and ducks and small children) than the possibility of some kind of were-creature, but I wonder how I'll feel when the next full moon comes about.

I woke up craving avocado on toast.  Alas, we have no avocados.  And now nothing else will do.  Does that ever happen to you?

I had brunch with ex-poet laureate Billy Collins yesterday at the local college.  Listening to him read his poems was one of the most enjoyable things I have done in recent memory.  A friend of mine said that she envied that I could understand poetry, that it was all a lot of gobbledygook to her.  That made me think and I realize that I may not be getting the full meaning of the written word, but that it doesn't make it any less enjoyable for me.  Ignorance is bliss?  I think the same applies to visual art.  I can look at a piece without knowing the maker's intent and enjoy it all the same.  If I later learn what the artist was trying to say, it allows me to enjoy it in a different way.  What does that mean?  I don't know, this is a random post after all.

I'm teaching a needle-felting class tomorrow night and I'm so eager to do it.  I hope they enjoy it as much as I do.  Also, choosing what snacks to make is more nerve-wracking than planning the lesson plan.

I've been thinking about something my grandpa says - "It's easier to pull a rope than to push a rope."  But what if you can't get people to come along with you even when you're leading the way?  Is it okay to make a lasso and drag them with the rope?

I have many, many things I need to finish today.  Funny how deadlines seem to crop up all on the same day like that.  Coffee, take me away.  

Time to start the day.  I hope you all have a great mid-week.  


7 comments:

Quinn said...

Has your friend ever been to poetry readings? Makes all the difference sometimes, when people experience poetry as a fleeting, in-the-moment event.
I wish I could experience the event of your workshop! I would even bring you an avocado as a small token of gratitude :)

Anonymous said...

I am SO happy to know I'm not the only one who has a pile of random thoughts in my head. Sorry about the avocado toast, but darn you for making me crave it now! = )

Unknown said...

Hi Lisa-I wish I could blink my eyes and click my heals and be at your felting class! could you set up a video camera and record it? I would love to learn from you! I would buy a video!

Anonymous said...

Back in the day, when I wrote poetry & would read it to my husband, he would say, "It must be good, because I have no idea what it means." Sigh. What a lot you have going on, I hope things have settled a bit for you.

Ruth B said...

Loved the class last night Lisa. You are a great teacher and so talented. Next step for me is rocks!

Lisa at lil fish studios said...

Ruth, it was my pleasure to have you in the class. Thanks so much for driving down!

Quinn - I agree, being able to hear him read those poems was far better than reading them in my voice. It was such a great experience.

Curlygirl - sorry! :)

Kristy - I'll work on that video thing. ;)

handstories - ah, husbands. lol

Heather Eddy said...

It never occurred to me that you may not be getting everything out of the poetry either. There is merit to enjoying words for their own beauty, too. And I do that! I guess I felt that I should appreciate poetry for what it is instead of what *I* can get out of it. Thanks for the insight... (and I understand gobbledygook fine! It's GIBBERISH that I can't get! Ha!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails