Saturday, April 13, 2013

checking in on the mushroom installation


I went to check on my mushroom installation this morning, riding on a new blanket of snow.  Riding?  Yes, I was feeling a little lazy this morning and opted to take the snowmobile out to the woods instead of the snowshoes.  There will be time for quiet contemplative walks later but I have a lot to do this morning so the snowmobile it was.  Ah, the smell of 2-cycle...

 Anyway, the mushroom is still hanging in there in the tree.  The bit of snow stacked on its cap hides the fact that a good portion of it has been chewed off by some visiting critter.

The green wool has started to fade considerably but it doesn't appear that whatever was trying to burrow beneath it has done any more excavating, at least for the time being.


 Many of the gills are missing, as is the veil.

The wool is pulling off in places in long straggly locks.

You can see in this photo the transition from fall through winter.  It started off standing proud, then something started to nibble on its veil and cap a little, then it started to lean as something dug in its green moss, and finally to its snow-laden state.

I love watching this progress.

I just had a quick visit then headed back to the house, pausing a moment to watch the smoke rise from our chimney, and note that I needed to sweep off the solar panels, and and and...


 And to wish you all a peaceful weekend.

Have a good one, everybody!

You can see the progression of this piece 
and 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Lisa I also love the smell of two cycle in the morning! The snow is pretty much gone in my part of maine-no more snowmobile rides for us! Your mushroom project is way cool! I love checking out what you are up to. have fun!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails